- Statement attributable to the Head of the UN Supervision Mission in Syria, General Robert Mood
- Exploring Cross-Cultural Dialogue through Theater – Photos
- Indigenous Peoples and Food Sovereignty – Photos
- Born Too Soon
- United Nations First International Jazz Day – Exclusive Photos
- NYC First Green Festival – Photos
- Statement by the Joint Special Envoy for Syria, Kofi Annan
- UN Autism Postage Stamp Creators – Photos
- UN Autism Stamps
New York, August 21 2010
The Secretary-General welcomes the decision by both Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu and Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas to begin direct negotiations, following the statement of the Quartet and at the invitation of the US Government.
The Secretary-General believes that negotiations are the only way for the parties to resolve all final status issues and he calls upon both sides to show leadership courage, and responsibility to realize the aspirations of both peoples.
We should all be aware that this is an opportunity that must not be wasted.
The Secretary-General underlines the importance of the international community 's support to the negotiations and to the achievement of a comprehensive peace in the region in line with the Madrid terms of reference, Security Council Resolutions and the Arab Peace Initiative.
This opportunity must be seized so that the hope of a better future for the people of the region to live in peace, security and freedom can be fully realized.
Source: UN spokesperson
Photo: Luiz Rampelotto
This entry was posted in International Politics, NEWS, Weblogs and tagged Arab Peace Initiative, Israeli Prime Minister, Mahmoud Abbas, Middle East Peace Process, Netanyahu, Palestinian Authority President, Secretary General, Security Council Resolutions, US Government. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.